506 | The fort is located in Amiel Park in Newcastle and was constructed in 1877 by men of the 80th Staffordshire Volunteers to protect the town and to provide support for Shepstone’s expedition to annex the Transvaal in April 1877. It served through the Anglo Zulu War and as a support base for Gen. Sir George Pomeroy-Colley’s advance to relieve the British garrisons invested in the Transvaal in 1881. The Fort has now been restored and serves as a museum.