Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism
A Professional Tourist Guide:
- Shall be welcoming and demonstrate an enthusiasm for South Africa.
- Shall at all times show willingness to provide optimum support and quality service to all tourists, and will give tourists an opportunity to enjoy or visit a desired destination.
- Shall in no way discriminate in rendering service to any tourist on any basis, e.g. colour, gender, ethnicity, nationality, physical challenge, age, etc.
- Shall be impartial, unbiased and positive, and represent South Africa objectively.
- Shall be suitably dressed and presentable at all times.
- Shall be punctual, reliable, honest, conscientious and tactful at all times.
- Shall be a responsible driver, when driving as a guide.
- Shall carry out the programme/itinerary of a tour to his/her best abilities and be loyal to the company/organization that he/she is representing.
- Shall deal with conflict in a sensitive and responsible manner.
- Shall report any incident of injury or death to a nearby tourist authority or police station.
- Shall be knowledgeable and shall assist tourists and not provide them with misleading information.
- Shall in the event of not being familiar with, or being unable to provide information requested by a tourist, consult with the appropriate authorities for assistance.
- Shall at no time be under the influence of alcohol or a narcotic substance while on duty and shall refrain from administering any medication to a client without proper medical consultation.
- Shall never solicit for clients or gratuities.
- Shall be concerned at all times for the safety of the tourist.
- Shall wear the appropriate tourist guide badge and will carry his/her registration card.
- Shall treat all people, cultures and the environment with respect.