Welcome to the city of Dundee
Now you are wondering, Dundee a city? Surely not. Yes we are, visit us and find out why.
Situated in the centre of northern KwaZulu-Natal Dundee has long connections with coal mining, military conflict and a rich and varied history. Although coal mining is no longer as prominent as it once was the history and scenery of the area provides a wealth of interesting activities for visitors. The town is characterised by numerous historical buildings and churches that date back over 100 years. Named by Peter Smith in memory of his links with Scotland, the town and area still echoes a number of those links, borne out in the names of farms, villages and mountains. The area is also noted for its agricultural industry, particularly dairy, beef and game ranching.
Tours specializing in the military history, Zulu culture, game viewing, “hunting, birding and fishing”, hiking and horse trails, white water rafting are all on offer. This is where the Anglo Boer War of 1899-1902 began and the Talana Museum, Heritage Park and Battlefield has superb exhibits on the battles of the area. It is also the home to the coal mine museums of South Africa, an exquisite glass collection, Peter Smith’s home and farm steading and much more. Dundee is an excellent central base for visits to Rorkes Drfit, Isandlwana, Fugitives Drift, Blood River/Ncome, Maria Ratschitz and a host of other interesting sites.
The range of accommodation from backpacker to exclusive lodges caters for all.
Spend a couple of days in the area absorbing the atmosphere, rich traditions, culture and history that comes alive with tales by local tour guides. Visit game lodges, stay on a game farm, enjoy superb meals and make new and long lasting friends.
Annual events not to be missed
- Battlefields Fly In – May.
- Dundee July – Horseracing on the last Saturday of July.
- Gandhi Walk – first Saturday August.
- Ghost walk on 20 October – Anniversary battle of Talana.
- Talana Live with Battle of Talana and Defence of Rorkes Drift re-enactments – On nearest weekend to 20 October.
- Mpati Mountain Race – July.
- Christmas in Africa – extravaganza of Christmas lights throughout Talana museum grounds for the month of December. Museum grounds open until 21:00 each evening. Bring family and friends and have picnic in the grounds.