“The Platrand is a long hill on the south side of the town. It was a critical section in the town’s defences. The soldiers christened the east end Caesar’s Camp and the West end Wagon Hill after features at Aldershot. The British built a number of defensive features all along the mainly north (rear slope) of the Hill the largest being Manchester fort about midway along.
In the early hours of the 6th January 1900 the Boers mounted attacks at both Caesar’s Camp and Wagon Hill and a desperate battle ensued until around 17h00 when in a blinding rain and hail storm the Devons mounted a bayonet charge over almost 100m of open ground to finally dislodge the Boers from Wagon Hill”