“Built during the late 1800s, it shows the stone construction method used by the first settlers in Ladysmith. Before 1882, wagons, carriages, and carts wishing to enter Ladysmith had to pay a toll fee. Mr William Adams was the first toll collector. He was also a blacksmith and wagon maker and was able to shoe horses and repair any animal drawn vehicle. Sadly damaged by flooding and rising damp, the need for the Toll House came to an end in 1882. When the wagon bridge over the Klip River, near the Wimpy was completed and brought into use.
Today it is the headquarters of the Ladysmith Historical Society and houses a small museum that is opened on request.”